A Purpose Driven Life Chapter 40 - Living With PurposeChapter Overview: This was the final chapter. Rick encouraged the reader to spend some time with God and work out in a paragraph or a page what their purpose in life is (in the context of the 5 purposes of the book)
2011 (40 years old)The thing that stuck with me from what Rick said in this chapter was a phrase in Acts 13:36 'David served God's purpose in his generation' It's a pretty good challenge. After stewing over it for a bit I realized that to be successful at something like that you have to take it one day at a time. Just try and serve God's purpose for my life today - let tomorrow worry about itself.
Pastor Dave had a good message in church in Sunday about Moses and excuses. Do I fall back on excuses so I don't have to be obedient to God? I do. I have a few of them. God, help me to not use them anymore. Instead, please will move/change them.
Did God say things in the Bible with a smile on his face and we don't know? The calling of Moses for example - did God push Moses to go to Egypt with a laugh? What kind of a filter are we listening to God with or reading the Bible with?
2016 (45 years old)Living with purpose. It's the only way to really live. 'For David served the purposes of God in his generation' Acts 13:36. When will I take time to write down the answers to life's 5 great purposes? When will I put my purpose on paper?
- What will be the centre of my life? The question of worship... When God is at the centre you worship. When he isn't, you worry. 'A sense of God's wholeness will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the centre of your life'. Phil 4:7
- What will be the character of my life? The question of discipleship. What kind of person will you be (not do). 2 Peter 1:5
- What will be the contribution of your life? Question of service. Knowing how your combination of spiritual gifts. Heart, abilities, personality, and experiences make you a good fit for a particular role in the family of God.
- What will be the communication of me life? Question of mission to unbelievers. Being a father who raises Godly kids is part of my mission
- What will be the community of my life? Question of fellowship. Involvement with church family
I started to get a little annoyed with Rick trying too hard to make his statements sound cool - having key words start with the same letter etc.
For background on what these 'Purpose Driven Life' posts are about, click this link.