A Purpose Driven Life - Chapter 19
A Purpose Driven Life Chapter 19 - Made for Community
Chapter Overview: This chapter goes hand in hand with the last chapter in outlining what Rick calls the 9 characteristics of biblical fellowship. This chapter looked at:
- Honesty - being able to speak the truth in love. Sometimes this is something that has to be done.
- Humility - being focused on serving and putting the needs of others first.
- Courtesy - people are quirky. But they are also part of our family, so they need to be accepted with their quirks. Discovering their history helps understand who they are and why they are that way.
- Confidentiality - preserving the trust in your group, while being sensitive to what needs to be said, and what it better left unsaid.
- Frequency - true fellowship takes commitment. Community is not built on convenience.
2011 (40 years old)
It appears I had no thoughts on this chapter at 40 years old. lol
2016 (45 years old)
Cultivating community. Community requires commitment. How can I help today cultivate the characteristics of a real community in my small group or church? Certainly the biggest point in this chapter for me is honesty - I am fearful of confrontation and doing it correctly. How does that look? Even telling the truth about my own situation. Some lines that stuck out: community has nothing to do with comparability. The basis for our fellowship is our relationship to God - we're all family.
For background on what these 'Purpose Driven Life' posts are about, click this link.