I don't recall what prompted me to look for the song recently, but something jogged my memory and I went looking for it and found it on Spotify. Hearing the lyrics and the minimalistic (but so dramatic and melancholic) riffs and refrains took my mind right back to the searching questions I had so long ago. What an amazing reference for me!
There's two passages from the Bible that have been 'highlighted' lately for me lately by God:
- Romans 12:1-2 '....in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.'
- James 4:6-8 'But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proudbut shows favour to the humble." Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you.'
Trusting for me lately means:
- Saying what I believe God wants me to say, ignoring how I think I sound, and trusting that God will let people to hear what He wants them to hear.
- Doing what I believe God wants me to do with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength - believing that in He will accomplish everything He wants to through me in His time.
- Living in the 'now.' Stop being distracted with regrets, and 'my plan' for the future. Being completely open and submitted to God today, in the next 5 minutes, etc.
- Letting go of my reputation (what I think people are thinking about me). Resting in my identity in God. I'm a valued son.
I knew much of this stuff 'in my head' back in 1993. I didn't have a lot of life experience. Its interesting how time and experience come together to provide perspective.